Foswiki 1.2 is now Foswiki 2.0!The project team has addressed a long-standing issue that has been deferred repeatedly from before Foswiki’s inception. The Foswiki core has been converted to UNICODE / utf-8 encoding. This change is significant and migration of the Foswiki data store to utf-8 is highly recommended. This has some immediate and very significant benefits:
- Many deferred tasks related to corrupted characters have been resolved.
- Sites that chose to convert to utf-8 encoding in the stored topics have full access to the UNICODE character set in topic contents and names.
- Internationalization “just works”.
Highlights of this release
- 312 bug fixes, and 157 enhancements relative to 1.1.9
- Incorporates 48 “Feature proposals”
- After in-depth security review, improvements made in 15 areas.
- New “Natural Edit” TML editor helps users learn the Topic Markup Language
- New “block indent” TML markup ( Multiple of 3 spaces, :(colon) (space) indented text )
- HomePagePlugin adds individualized homepage on login.
- More realistic edit “preview” includes active links.
- SubscribePlugin allows one-click subscribe for topic change notifications
- Old EditTablePlugin has been replaced by the EditRowPlugin. This plugin provides enhanced capabilities and client-side sorting of tables.
- Improved support for international character sets.
- Updated jQuery, with more use of AJAX for crisper performance.
- New pluggable Store backend, and Plain File store available: higher performing and eliminates use of RCS.
- New pluggable ACL processing with Read only and Admin only access settings
- Simpler initial installation and bootstrap of settings.
- /internal admin/ login can be eliminated, avoiding use of shared passwords.
- New command-line configuration tool available
- UpdatesPlugin alerts admin when updated extensions are available.
- FastCGI and mod_perl supported “out of the box”.
- Simpler web server configuration: No need to apply special protection to configure script.
Translation status: Help Wanted!As of RC 2:
- Czech, Danish, French, German and Italian are >99% complete.
- Traditional Chinese is >93% complete.
- Dutch, Norwegian, and Portuguese (Brazil) are 70-88% complete.
- Other languages are 60% complete or lower.
- A new translation has been added: Klingon, 94% translated.
Happy testing!George Clark
Release Manager, Foswiki 2.0